"What a pit! The Robinson District was no doubt one of the most prolific in Nevada history. Kennecott was to Nevada as the Klondike was to Alaska. The Last Great Rush." -- Journal Entry, May 2008
Original Date Visited: 3/10/08
Signed: Both lanes of US 50
The famed open-pit mines of eastern Nevada, including the Liberty Pit, largest in the state, are located two miles south of this point. Through the first half of the 20th century, this area produced nearly a billion dollars in copper, gold and silver. The huge mounds visible from here are waste rock which was removed to uncover the ore.
Two miles east of here near Lane City, was the Elijah, the first mine discovered in the Robinson Mining District. Lane City, originally called Mineral City, was settled in 1869 and had a population of 400. At Mineral City was the Ragsdale Station, one hotel and stage station.
Related Links & Markers
Have you been to this marker? Tell us all about it here!